Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Practium has begun!!!

So in my last post I was very nervous about starting to teach....that was just silly of me. It has been great so far, the kids are fantastic. I think that Carly (my partner) and I may have just gotten fortunate though, these kids are truly fantastic. They are all really good at participating and very interested in what we have to say, it has been so fun. We haven't done a lot on specific vocabulary, but we do a lot of conversation in English. They are very advanced in their English, especially since they are only in the 5th and 6th grade. I am a little nervous about how it will be once I get to my actual site, as there will be a greater diversity in the levels of the students, but I will accept that challenge once I get there.

Tomorrow I will be teaching again, as I will be until next week Friday, but it is only for 1-2 hours a day. On Monday we just had fun and played games to gauge the level of the students and get to know them so they were comfortable with us. That went over really well (it was all Carly's idea...she rocks) so then we were able to get to know the students and get to know there likes and dislikes. From there we based our lessons on what they like. We already knew that we were going to talk about the parts of speech (nouns, adjectives, and verbs) but we changed our guides since then and based it on what they liked. So on Tuesday we talked about Magic and Fairy Tales...the kids loved it! It was so good to see them interacting and becoming creative! Then today we talked about adjectives and people and related them to popular people and describing them. They have such an extensive vocabulary that they became really creative! It was great! Tomorrow we will be talking about verbs and sports and maybe dancing and music...I hope that we have fun tomorrow as well and we will continue to review the parts of speech.

Finally on Friday we are going to talk about the US. The kids are really interested in what goes on in the US and I think they will be really interested in hearing about it. I think they know more about American pop culture than any of us know however, they knew so many people today, it was crazy!!

I am continuing to learn Romanian, it is a dificult language, but I am starting to be able to form sentences with my gazda. I can understand a lot more than I can speak which is pretty typical, but I am trying not to be afraid to speak, because I know that it is important in the learning process to make mistakes and just try.

I have been walking a lot as well, which is good, but I haven't been eating vegetables as much as I would like. They eat a lot of warm food here, but once I get to my own place I am sure that I will be able to eat more fresh foods and vegetables, but I think I may try to talk to my gazda about foods that we like and I will say that I like vegetables all types of vegetables maybe I will get more vegetables then!

Let's see I think that is all for today, I am going to go shopping this weekend for clothes so I will let you know how that experience goes. It should be interesting and I will be able to practice the vocab that we just learned! That is all for now, love and miss you all bunches!!!!!!

Until Later
~Sarah B.

1 comment:

  1. Miss B. It sounds like you are becoming anamazing teacher!!!! I am so proud of you. Good luck with everything!!!
    Love ya
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete