Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Finally a post-Sorry for the delay!

So things around here have been absolutely crazy, they keep us so busy here that I have very minimul time to get onto the computer and when I do I don't have a lot of time to post, but this morning (it is 8AM) here I am taking the time just for all of you!!

So school is going well, we learn a ton everyday, but the teachers are all really nice and they all want to help us a lot. All of our lessons are conducted in Romanian, which I thought would be difficult, but I am not often lost, which suprised me, but it was a pleasant suprise! I have to study a lot every night, but seeing as my gazda only speaks Romanian, there is a definante neccessity to learn Romanian quickly!

In addition to language lessons we also learn culture about Romanian. We had a diversity session last week which was very interesting just to learn about the different aspects of the others in the room, and see how diversity affects us everywhere. I feel that I have observed some diversity here in Romania, but I am looking forward to more first hand experiences, both positive and negative, because as we all know it is not always easy to learn, but worth it in the long run!

This weekend we all went on an Integrated Field Visit. We had 7 groups go to 7 locations and it was very interesting. We were able to see some schools and the different types of working environments that we will have. Most of the schools we have went to thus far have been very nice with computers and internet! I have to keep in mind that I won't necessarily have this luxuery, but that would be nice. The classrooms are a little different, as the seating is almost always based on tables, I have yet to see an individual desk, but it is an interesting environment.

It was also nice to see the volunteers in their site and to see how they have integrated theirselves into the community. Some related more to the students, others to the teachers and still others to the entire community. It was also interesting to see them interacting in Romanian, I did feel a lot better about the language. I know that it will be hard work, and I will have to continue to study hard, but I know that in time and through practice it will come.

A few things that I took away from this weekend were that this job will be very difficult, but in time and with perseverance I will make it through and it will be the best job that I will ever have. It was nice to see how adjusted the volunteers are but at the same time it would be interesting to see what the first couple of months were like, just to know what to expect at first. The end result is nice to see, but it would be nice to be able to see the process as well, just to be prepaired.

Let's see what else to say. Before I left we were informed about the dogs, in our training city there are dogs everywhere! They are big, small, black, white, skinny, fat, sleepy, they are just everywhere! So we of course thought this was normal, at our IFV site there were hardly any dogs. Apparently our training city has more dogs in it than most people have ever seen who visit the city. It is unreal! I have been lucky enough not to encounter any cruel dogs as of yet, but I am definitely keeping my guard up, I do not have any desire to be bitten by a dog!

Next week we will be starting our practicum! Yikes! This means that I will be in the school teaching!! We will at least be working in groups, which will be nice so we will not be completley alone. I am nervous about being in front of a group however, but I know that as long as I plan adequately and try to take more activities than necessary and put the neccessary work into it I know I will be fine!

Let's see I think that is all for now, but I will try to get a post up again soon. I miss and love you all and if you would like to call me that would be great, my parents have the number so shoot them an e-mail or give them a call.

Until later
~Sarah B.

No comments:

Post a Comment