Sunday, November 29, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!!!!

For Mom, Dad, Fred, Uncle John, Auntie Mary think about that title real hard and remember Thanksgiving at the Holiday Inn I believe that it actually made it onto our answering machine at home as well :) That was a good Thanksgiving :)
So again sorry that this post was late...but I had a lot going on these past few weeks. So I think I will start from the most recent and work my way back.

So this Thanksgiving I went to Bacau to spend Thanksgiving with some other volunteers there. It was a vegetarian Thanksgiving, but all of the food was absolutely fantastic! We had homemade rolls, salad stuffing, corn, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoe fries, brocolli cheese casserole, pumpkin bread and apple crisp. It was so fantatic and as traditional for Thanksgiving we ate way to much and felt ill for the rest of the night. But it was good, it was nice to be with other volunteers on Thanksgiving...while away from my family they are a good substitute...but never as good as the real thing :) The trip down there was fairly uneventful until they dropped me off at some random place in Bacau because they left someone at the last stop...that was interesting but it worked out because Sarah (the volunteer in Bacau) found me :) Good thing we have cell phones!! They truely do save lives :)

The trip home was fairly interesting however, I was so excited to have found a 10:15 bus home, so I could be home by the early afternoon...but for some reason it did not show....which resulted in me staying outside for 3 hours waiting for a second bus...which worked out anyway and I made it home :) So that is all that matters

So lets see the work week was fairly uneventful, I went to school, taught the kids, gave a couple quizzes and that was about it.

On the other hand some home issues did arise that were rather interesting. So the simplest first, I ran out of propane gas, that was a simple fix and just needed to be changed out....on the other hand my electrical issues were very interested. It all started last week Tuesday. So I decided that I wanted to take a shower, so I had to plug in my hot water heater....but when I did my electrical box started sparking. There was even smoke! I was astounded and freaked out! So I called someone and they looked at it right away, and it was all scheduled to be fixed on Thursday. However when I went to turn on my light the next morning, I turned on my bathroom light...and the electrical box started sparking yet again! So clearly it could not wait another day. So I went to find someone and they fixed it immediately and I was able to go into Botosani to get my package. So I got a ride into Botosani with the crappiest Dacia I have seen yet here in Romania. The guy had to shove the car into the right gear, I thought for sure we were going to break down, it was crazy. I actually leaned up against the door, and it opened! While we were driving! So I quickly moved away from the door, but as we were going, they found another passenger so I was forced to sit very close to the door, so that made me hold the door shut so I wouldn't fall out along the way. Also as we were going along a cow ran right out in front of us so we had to come to a screetching halt as to not hit it. By this time I was just laughing at how crazy the day had been, it was such a Romanian day :)

So it is now Friday and I wanted to take a shower before I went to Tirgu Neamt for Thanksgiving dinner, so I plugged it in and there were flames and all the power in my apartment went out. So I then again had to call someone to fix it and subsiquently had no time to take a shower so I had to run down to the bus stop to try to get into Botosani so I found a ride again into Botosani and made it in plenty of time to get my package...but I had put my backpack in the trunk of the car....and then I forgot it! I was totally freaked out! I wanted to go to Tirgu Neamt so I got my package and decided to go to see my friends anyway and just bought some stuff when I got there. And I am glad that I went because I had a lot of fun with everyone there and I had amazing food! It was a good weekend! And it ended even better because I got my backpack back when I got home! Luckily we had talked a little bit and I told him that I teach English in Trusesti and he happened to be one of my student's Dad's so it all worked out in the end and I was very lucky!

However my electrical problems did not stop after the weekend....so I went to plug in my water heater and it was good for a while...but then it started to spark again! So I unplugged my friedge and everything else in my apartment. Then as the day went on, it got worse and worse and I couldn't have anything plugged in or my lights on without the electrical box sparking and eventually my power went out yet again! It stunk, but then on Monday I got it fixed, but I called the electrical man in the morning, and it was all good and I have not had any problems since then.

So needless to say these past few weeks have been eventful, but they have been good in all, oh well it makes for some good stories to remember :) What is better than that!

So in closing I hope that everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving! And if you decided to brave Black Friday I hope you got some good deals! I miss you all and love you all and hope that the holiday season is going lovely for you thus far :)

Take care!

Te iubesc!
Mi-a dor de tine!
Pana mai tarziu
~Sarah B.

No comments:

Post a Comment