Sunday, November 1, 2009

Happy Halloween

So I am one day late for Halloween, but still...Happy Halloween! I hope you all had a fun time on Halloween and those of you that went out...I hope the day after wasn't to bad :) I hope all of the Trick-or-Treaters had a good time, and that you didn't freeze. It was sure cold here...I only went outside today to take out my garbage and from then on out decided to stay inside. It was cold!
So about this week, well needless to say...it was crazy! Great but crazy! We had to try and make all of our last minute plans pull through for the Halloween party, and I think that we pulled it off well. My week was all about getting prepared for this one day, but in the end it was all worth it and I actually feel that I had some time to bond with my students, which is something that I have been searching for an opportunity to do.
So the week began as this, we had a meeting on Monday to figure out things and decided to go for supplies on Tuesday. I went with another professor and the kids of the student council to the Mayor's office, and some other places in town to ask for donations. We then went to buy prizes for the games. Lots of candy for trick or treating and some supplies for additional decorations. Then it was off to work, we were supposed to have a meeting on Wednesday....and no one showed up....that was scary, but the kids really pulled it together on Thursday. I came to school for the meeting, taught my one afternoon class and then proceeded to stay at school until they kicked us out at 7. I made decorations with the kids, when they could get out of class they came and made decorations. We cut out pumpkins, made paper chains, made paper ghosts, did some coloring, and some crepe paper decorations. There was lots of cutting and stapling and coloring...but it was great. I really feel like I had an opportunity to bond with them, and they truly did work hard to get everything done, even kids that weren't on the student council came and helped...without them I don't think that it would have been possible.

Then Friday came...D-day! I again came to school early, for a meeting...that I didn't know we were having until we got there. We got all of the final preparations in order, and then waited for school to let out so we could decorate. We set up the rooms, got the scary lab set up, organized the prize bags, and made the school look super cool. Then we waited for the kids to arrive. The party itself was great. We had many different rooms, several for trick-or-treating, a scary lab, an art room for the best picture, bobbing for apples, best pumpkin, and musical chairs. The kids and teachers manned the rooms while I ran around to make sure that everyone had everything that they needed. Going to each room for a little bit and seeing what they needed when and to see how the kids were enjoying themselves. It was so great to see them all in costume, they were really creative. We had several doctors, Shrek, a zombie bride, princesses, mummies, Michael Jackson, fairies, zombies, cats (I was a cat :) ) Harry Potter, and more. It was so great to see their creativity! I loved it! The kids had a great time making art, posing for pictures, they went crazy for bobbing for apples, and loved the candy. After the party, the kids marched down the street yelling, and shouting and just having a good time. They then went to the club in town and had some fun dancing. It was great to see how much of a great time they were having! Needless to say I think it was a success! I was happy because we were worried that it wasn't going to come together in the end...but we did it, without the kids we couldn't have done it though, so I was so proud of them. I actually liked how it turned out, because if it wouldn't have been so crazy hectic in the end I would not have had an opportunity to bond with them while making the decorations!
Then Saturday we went to take down all the decorations. I wanted to help the janitor clean up the school because it was absolutely trashed...but she wouldn't let me. So the kids and I just made sure that we took everything down and put it away. Not to many kids came, but enough did that we finished in a timely fashion and the ones who did come recieved a treat from me for Halloween...it wasn't anything much...but they loved it, so that is all that matters!
Later on Saturday I met up with some of my friends and we made cookies...I actually taught them how to make them, played some cards, and then went to the club where I enjoyed a much deserved beer and then we played some table tennis. I have been feeling a little less shy lately...hopefully I can keep that up and this good determined mood continues....we shall see. I want to not be shy...but it is hard, especially since I am not extremely confident with the language...we shall see and as we all know perseverance pays off in the end and I just have to keep on going and I will get there :) I think this Halloween party really helped, and hopefully it will encourage me to keep on trucking...my next goal to open up classes for adults in my town! I thought about doing something for Thanksgiving....but that might be a little difficult...maybe I will try something for next year...like a play or something. I think other than that we will be good for the party's until Valentines day or St. Patricks day...I am not sure about Christmas....we will have to see about that one.
As for today, it has been just lesson planning and staying inside. It is cold outside so I am just fine staying in. I need to be rested as I am going to be watching my Packers play later tonight! Yay for Skype with Lizz and Andrew! Next week I have to find someone to fix my faucet...the water does not run in the kitchen...which is very annonying actually...but we will figure it out. Find some wood so I can start a fire....learn how to start a fire....start some new classes....as my class schedule changed yet again....figure out how to get to Sibiu for a peer support conference and teach classes and maybe figure out how I can start adult classes in my community. We shall see...I probably shouldn't take on too much to early...as I am still getting used to things. We shall see what time tells :) I am feeling much better though, so that is good, and I finally feel like I have done something for my community, which is a great feeling! Hopefully this great feeling continues on as I really am enjoying it :)

I hope you all are doing well! I miss you greatly and think of you often! You are all great and I love you so very much! I hope you are not to cold, and maybe if there are still leaves on the trees take some pictures for me, I miss the woods of my house and the beauty of the fall there. I am surrounded mainly by fields...so not a lot of trees to see. Stay warm, don't freeze, and take care of yourselves!

Te iubesc si Te pup
Pana mai tarziu
~Sarah B.

No comments:

Post a Comment