Sunday, July 5, 2009

Happy 4th of July!

So things have been super busy here we finally finished practium and it went well. High School was a little bit harder for me, but I was glad for the experience. My last day of lessons went well, so I was glad that we ended on a positive note. I really enjoyed teaching and I was told I was a natural in front of the classroom, so I did not experience the nerves, which was nice to know. I just remind myself that I am the expert in the language and it is my native language, so why should I be nervous! I loved teaching though, I think I am going to have a great time in my two years here.

So other than that we just did a lot of language and lesson planning this week. I did have my site placement interview which we talked about possible sites, and I requested a small town, so I think I may get that! I hope so as we all know the city and I do not mix very well, you can take the girl out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the girl!

So I hope that you all had a Happy 4th, we had a gazda party here but unfortunately it rained. Well actually that is an understatement it poured and we were outside in a park so it was kind of a bummer, but hey it was worth a try. After the gazda party I went home for a little while, but then the volunteers had their own party. It was a ton of fun and definitely an awesome 4th in Romania. It was nice to be able to spend such an important holiday for the USA with the great new friends that I have met here.

So as I mentioned earlier, on Wednesday I find out where I will be going for the next two years. I am a little nervous, but excited, it will be nice for it to be more concrete. I am nervous about leaving however because as of right now I still have my American bubble that I am in since I am continually surrounded by at least 35 Americans, I am excited to work, but it will be sad to leave them. I am hoping that I will be in a small town, with beautiful scenary because it isn't as depressing as the bloc apartments are, and there probably will not be a lot of English spoken there so I will be forced to learn the language. That is the best way to learn the language however is to completely immerse yourself in it. I am experiencing this at my gazda, she does not speak a single word of English, not even yes or no, but I think that I am improving. I am working really hard to pick up the language, and I am enjoying speaking with my gazda, especially since it is getting easier to comunicate.

Let's see, not a whole lot else is new here, just the end of practicum and language lessons. I am having a good time meeting new people and trying new experiences while I am here. Life is good here so far and I cannot believe that I have been here for 5 weeks, it is going by so fast! My language instructer says she has faith that we are all going to pass the LPI - Language Proficiency Interview, so that makes me feel good. I am nervous about it since it is just 6 weeks away and then I will be starting my service right after that.

Well that is all for today. I hope you all are well and not roasting too much in the states. It is ridiculously hot in Romania today, but other than that I am fine here. I love and miss you all!

Until Later
~Sarah B.

No comments:

Post a Comment