Sunday, April 10, 2011

In the final sprint

So I am currently getting ready to celebrate my last major holiday in Romania. As I am sitting in my apartment thinking about this, I find it hard to believe that two Easter's ago I was sitting with my family, anxious to start my Romania adventure. This Easter I will be enjoying Easter dinner with a very good friend and her Peace Corps family, but this year I will be anxiously awaiting my next adventure, which is returning home.
I had so many concerns before I came to Romania, "Will I be able to learn the language?" or "What will it be like teaching a bunch of students who don't know English?" or "Will I like the food?" or more Romania specific "Will I get bit by a dog?!" All of these worries were concerns that I shared with my fellow volunteers and upon arriving in Romania I realized they were silly worries. Granted I did find myself crying in language classes a few times because it was extremely difficult, but here I find myself 2 years later with an Advanced communication level in Romanian. I also was extremely nervous about being in front of students, but as they say practice makes perfect. While I am still nervous from time to time going into a class, most of those nerves have been diminished since I know the kids want me there and they do everything they can to make me feel welcome.

These two years have presented challenges and allowed me to learn important life lessons. I have learned how to speak up for myself, rather than to just let things slide. I have learned how to know when it is time to give up, and that failure and moving on are a part of life. Through moving on I was able to have a unique experience in two different parts of Romania and I was able to change my Peace Corps experience to hold a more positive light. I have never been so proud of my ability to say when, if not I could have denied myself an amazing opportunity.

I have learned how to compromise and work as a team with other cultures. My counterparts and director are some of the most wonderful people I know. Working with them has truly been a blessing and we have been able to provide the students with such a broad education, each day learning something different from each other. It is truly a wonderful experience.
I have learned how to respect other cultures. Learning about Romania's traditions for holidays and their importance on families has been so interesting, but more interesting is the language and their love for the land. Romanian's love having things that are homemade and come from their own garden or farm, to take pride in their ability to produce for themselves is truly a wonderful thing to see.
I have learned how to appreciate familiarity, because being a stranger in a foreign country can be the loneliest places sometimes.
I have learned the importance of family and true friends. I love the fact that even though we are separated by 6000 miles, our relationships have stayed strong and they have continually supported me in everything that I have done.
While life may not always be easy here in Romania for me or for anyone else, it has taught me so much about myself and has made me realize just how lucky I am. I have food and water and a roof over my head and I have always had those things. While in Trusesti I didn't always have water, and to get hot water I had to plug in a hot water heater that took hours to heat up. I didn't have a heater, I had to make a fire in order to stay warm. I also didn't have a washer, everything was washed by hand. Now living in Pucioasa, things are completely different. I always have hot water, I have radiators that I can turn up as high as I want and I have a washing machine. While my time in Trusesti wasn't exactly positive, I learned so much from that experience and it has made me appreciate everything that I have both in my home and in my school and has made this second year absolutely unforgettable.

So now as I sit here, accustomed to life in Romania, I have worries about returning to the US, just like I had before going to Romania. I have become accustomed to being alone, so I worry about being around people constantly. While I am excited to see my family, I am worried about being overwhelmed and not finding personal time.

I worry about driving again. I have not been behind the wheel of a car for almost two years, I worry that I will forget how to drive.

I worry about becoming overwhelmed in the supermarket. I have become very accustomed to having only two or three choices for bread, I don't know what I will do when I see ten or more types of bread to choose from.

I worry about money. I have been provided for for the past two years, not having to worry about insurance or medical and I worry about making the right decisions in these areas.

I worry about school and adjusting to graduate school. I am so excited to be going to Fargo to further my education, but I worry about the move and starting over again. It will be different to be a student again, but my excitement is far superior to my worry.

As I think about my worries, I find comfort in the fact that worry means passion. If I wasn't worried then I might not be passionate about this next step. Worry also means that ti will probably be a difficult step, but it will be one that is worth fighting for. It is odd to say, but the worry is soothing and I am glad to have it around.

So in three short months these posts will come to an end, but I will have the memory forever ingrained in my mind. I will be able to print these out and if my memory every falters, I will be able to revisit this experience. I am sad to see this experience coming to a close, but you can bet that I am going to enjoy every bit of time that I have left in this country and with my wonderful Peace Corps family!

I love you all and I hope you are well. I hope that old man winter has left you alone and that spring has finally sprung.

Mi-a dor de voi!
Va iubesc!
Va pup!

Pana mai tarziu
~Sarah B.

1 comment:

  1. Just stumbled upon your blog and I just wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed reading it, especially your linking worry to passion. I leave for Panama in 16 days and definitely am worried about many things. It's wonderful to read about your reflections on your Peace Corps journey and personal growth. Best of luck in grad school and life.
    -Natalie

    ReplyDelete