Sunday, March 20, 2011

St. Patrick's and Birthday adventures!




So this week was an action packed week. I had a lot to do, but it went very quickly so that made it a good week. This week I was teaching alone and covering classes since one of my counterparts was in Poland for a school project. I knew that this was coming so I had fun planning St. Patrick's Day themed lessons. The kids had a good time with that and it was fun to do something different that was not part of the regular curriculum and they love to learn about different things (probably because it isn't related to grammar in any way, shape or form!)

This Wednesday I also help a volunteer training session for students in the student council and for students from several other schools in Pucioasa. It went wonderfully! The kids were so attentive and they participated, and offered ideas and did an absolutely wonderful job. The students all paid attention as well even though there was a lot of talking. I tried to make it personal to them as well though so that helped to keep them interested. Then after I talked about what a volunteer project should encompass, they created their own and they came up with wonderful ideas! I even had a student send me an e-mail later to say that she wanted to put these ideas into action and together we will collaborate with the director and my counterpart and hopefully we can get some of these things up and running before I leave. I was so proud of all of them, they did a wonderful job and I couldn't have been prouder.

Then came Thursday, St. Patrick's Day! It was really fun to teach the students on St. Patrick's day because then they could learn the lesson on the actual day. I had many classes on Thursday and was really tired from the week, but still full of energy because my birthday was on Friday. My counterpart had been acting a little strange that day and had been meeting with students, so I knew she was up to something. One of my students had tipped me off that she was planning something, and I saw that she was meeting with students and they were very adamant to tell my counterpart that I was there so she would stop talking about whatever it was she was talking about. So I knew she was up to something, I just didn't know what. We normally have our last class together on Thursdays because it is an optional class and that is the one class that we teach together every week. She did not come to class and the student on duty came to tell me it was because she was at the high school. I knew that wasn't true, but I just figured that she was off practicing something with the students. I thought she was going to have them put on a little play or sing a song for me on Friday or something. Boy was I wrong!




So I get done with school and go home, like any other day. I go into my apartment and I notice that my kitchen door is closed. I find this very weird because I never close my kitchen door, but I just figured my landlord had been there or something. So I come inside and turn on my hall light, go back to close the door and before I can close it I hear "Happy Birthday Sarah!" I had to grip the wall I was so shocked. I slowly creeped towards my living room, not exactly sure what I was going to find, as the singing continued I looked into the living room to see my director, counterpart and about 20 of my students in my living room singing to me with presents on my coffee table. I turned around and saw a cake coming towards me with 25 candles on it.
This explained the closed door, as one of my student's mothers was hiding in my pantry with the cake and lit candles. I couldn't believe it, I was so surprised and felt so blessed! My counterpart had used the spare key that I gave to her in the case of an emergency and she surely got me good! She is so thoughtful and it was so wonderful to see my director and so many of my students. I adore them and it was so nice that they wanted to do something special for me on my birthday. I was surprised that they were all able to stay so quiet, especially since there were so many of them!
So after that we enjoyed cake and the kids had fun playing with balloons and noisemakers and then they each went around and said a personal birthday wish to me. I felt truly blessed and it was so nice to see the impact that I am making here, I see the impact they make on me every day, but sometimes it is difficult to see the other side. They are truly wonderful and I am so lucky to have them as a part of their lives.



So that was my birthday surprise so the day of my birthday I went to school as usual and enjoyed a nice calm birthday with my colleagues at school. Then I came home from school to talk with my family, which was also really nice. I was glad that I was able to talk to them on my birthday. Next year if my birthday falls along Spring break I might actually be able to spend it with them, which I am sure they will love :) We shall see.

So that was my adventure for the week. I think it is safe to say that this year was one of the best birthdays I have ever had. I have never been so surprised in my entire life and while I was shocked and a little bit scared I felt so loved and that feeling is truly wonderful. I am so thankful for my site, school, conterparts, director and students. They made it an absolutely wonderful day, so to them I say a big THANK YOU!!!!!

I also want to send a Happy Birthday out to my big brother, he will be turning 26 on Wednesday, so as of right now we are both 25. I always like to tease him and during these 5 days I used to tell him that he was not a year older than me anymore, we were the same age. That used to drive him crazy :) It was fun to tease him about it. I love my brother very much and I am very thankful to have him in my life. Though we fight from time to time and we are very different people, I love him with all my heart. He is a wonderful brother and life would not be the same without him. Happy Birthday big brother!

I hope all is well state side. I am looking forward to seeing everyone in 3 1/2 short months. I will only be home for about a month and then I will be starting my next adventure, but it will be a good month, I will make sure of that! I love you all and miss you very much. I hope spring has sprung by you and that you are enjoying wonderful weather. The weather here is teasing us a little bit, but I am sure that it will be lovely out before we know it!

Va pup!
Va iubesc!
Mi-a dor de voi!

Pana mai tarziu
~Sarah B.

No comments:

Post a Comment