Sunday, October 10, 2010

Whoops, I forgot to update!

So looks like my goal to get back into the swing of things is not working as well as I had hoped. I almost forgot again today, but remembered, so no worries.

Things have not been too interesting around here, just school mainly. We did have a pretty big project that was going on at school though, I was not a major part of it, but I was able to help out a bit. My school is involved in a bigger project through the European Union in which they are partnered with one school from Portugal, Spain, and Poland. Through this project they talk about implementing and sustaining project at their own respective schools. They check in with one another, and they help each other to succeed. So since they work together, they occasionally get together, which means that 8 representatives from these three schools came to our school. Since English is the common language, our language teachers and others who are proficient in English were busy translating everything. I was able to help with the fine tuning of the translations and to put little corrections to help the flow which was a really nice opportunity. In addition to this I was able to get to know the women that were here. I presented a little bit about the Peace Corps and what we do, the ladies were all very interested in Peace Corps and I think they were a little jealous for my school. Unfortunately for them, Peace Corps is not currently in service in any of the countries and out of the three PC has only been in Poland. From what it sounds like though, there English programs would really benefit from a volunteer, any native speaker not necessarily an American, and they are also open to new ideas. I hope that they can find a program that would allow them to have a volunteer of some sorts.

I was also able to take a trip into the mountains with them. We went to visit Peles castle and Bran, both of which I had been to in the past, but it was still nice to go again. I was actually able to help translate for them, so that was pretty neat. It was difficult as I am not fluent in Romanian but I get my point across so that is all that matters. They also had a goodbye dinner planned for them, which I was invited to, but unfortunately due to my outstanding ability to get colds, I had to stay home sick. So that is why this past week was not very exciting, as I spent most of it asleep or resting and trying to get over a cold. However I was introduced to a Romanian remedy that is very useful in getting rid of colds. My counterpart gave me some tuica (Plum brandy which is distilled and made entirely at home) which I then boiled with pepper and sugar. It was absolutely disgusting, but I slept great after that and my throat felt ten times better the next day. So now I am almost completely healthy, which makes me happy as next week I will be in Paris!

I can't believe that I am finally going to have the opportunity to go to Paris! I am so excited! I have always wanted to go to Paris, my entire life and now I finally have the chance. I will be there for 5 glorious days. I hope the weather is kind to us and I also hope that the leaves will be changing. I think that autumn in Paris would be spectacular to see. The colors of Autumn are truly a beautiful gift of nature. I am so thankful to see such beauty in this world.

Well that is about all that happened this week. There truly were no exciting experiences that happened over the last few weeks. I have just been getting adjusted to school and learning the students. I have some truly amazing students and in general they are really well behaved. Discipline is a big thing in the school and the kids are consistently reminded to adhere to this. The teachers are consistent and they do not let the kids rule them, it is the other way around at this school and I have to say that I like it. It is nice to see kids with respect, because when they respect me I have a great deal of respect for them and for their families as well.

Well I am off to do some projects and work on some information and plan for Paris! I hope you are all doing well and I miss you all very much. Take care and as always I send my love.

Va pup
Va iubesc
Mi-a dor de voi

~Pana mai tarziu
Sarah B.

No comments:

Post a Comment