Wednesday, September 2, 2009

First Day for Teachers...Under my Belt

So I know it has been a few days since I have posted...but my last ones were so long, I am sure you all needed a bit of a break...as did I, my fingers were tired from all the typing! So.....since I last posted I took a couple of trips into Botosani, which is where my counterpart. My counterpart (Mona) is the English teacher at my school and she will be watching over and guiding me in my next two years hear in Trusesti. I was able to spend some time with her and get to know her a little bit and see her town, which was nice. On my way home I had a bit of an interesting experience. I forgot to pay when I first got on the bus (I paid when I got off, no worries) because I wasn't sure exatcly how this particular bus worked. So when I was going to my seat a man started to talk to me...I thought maybe he was the man who took the money...but then realized he wasn't. I am sure that he was harmless...but he didn't have any teeth, and it is hard enough for me to understand the Romanian in this part of Romania with the accent...but at no teeth onto that and it becomes even harder! I can hardly understand when people speak English with no teeth much less Romanian! It was funny though, because the lady in front of him told him to leave me alone...so that was interesting.
So I returned home for a day or so...and then made my way to Botosani again, for a Beer Festival. I didn't actually spend much time there, I just hung out with some other volunteers in Botosani, which was nice. When I was at the festival however it was absolutely crazy! There were people everywhere, tons of food, tons of beer, live music and rides. If we could have managed to walk in a straight line without having to weave in and out of people I am sure we would have stayed for longer and looked around more, but it was super crowded. I am sure I will go again next year though, and I will know more Romanian then...so it shouldn't be as difficult. Also when I was in Botosani I was able to hang out with one of the other volunteers from my group...it was good to spend the day with her. However, the best part of my trip there was making tacos! Yes, that's right...I said TACOS! A volunteer from group 25 is there (actually there are 2 from group 25) and she had some seasoning packets for tacos, I got to cook, made homemade tortillas and some great tacos...it was so good! Maybe the best meal I have had since I was hear in Romania...just because it was nice to have American food again. Well actually Mexican food...but very popular food in America :)
So then I returned home for a day of relaxation before I had to begin going to school. My first day, yesterday, was kind of tough. It was hard for me to understand anything...I wasn't sure what I was supposed to do, and it was generally a bit negative yesterday. The two schools in my town (The high school and the elementary/general school) are combining, so this means that some people will be out of a job, mainly a director. So I am not sure who my director is going to be yet...since they haven't made a decision as of yet. So there was a lot of stress with that, and apparently there is going to be a meeting during the 1st 10 days of class so the teachers will lose out on 10 days of pay...more to add to the stress. I also felt really nervous since my Romanian is not that good yet, so I was scared to speak. So I just felt a little low yesterday, today however was much better!
I went to school again, even though I did not have to, I wanted to get myself out there. I am glad that I did, because I met my community mentor today. She is the woman who is going to help me out in town, show me around town, answer any questions I may have, just be a general help to me. She is super nice as well, so I was able to practice my Romanian with her today. I even helped her set up her classroom, which was fun. Then after school, we went to the market and I went to her house for lunch and we chatted some more. I still have a long way to go in terms of the language...but with practice I will get it and she was very patient with me...which was nice :)
After that I came home to study a little bit, catch up on some e-mails, talk with some other volunteers, and relax. Now I am here writing my update.
So I always talk about what I do everyday, and I try to include how I am feeling. Generally I am feel pretty good here, some days are more dificult than others, but you find that everywhere. The people in Romania are generally very kind and hospitable. I am enjoying my time here very much. I have learned a lot already without even realizing it. For example, we are very luck to have stoves which we don't have to light with a match, they light themselves. We are also very lucky to have water that runs all the time. I don't have running water during the day here, and while I have learned to live with it, and it is fine, we are still lucky to not have to worry about it. I know that we also complain about the gas prices a lot, but we are very fortunate to be able to have cars of our own, and though it may cost a lot of money to keep our cars, we always find a way. Here many people have to get around with the use of carts and horses...not because of their lifestyle choice...that just is the way that it is. I am not complaining about anything, in terms of the PC lifestyle...I am extremely fortunate. I never thought that I would be sitting in my apartament, with electricity, updating my blog on the Internet. I always imagined myself in a hut in the middle of Africa, fighting off bugs and maybe other creatures. Just goes to show you how different life can be. No matter where life takes you, we always need to remember to count our blessings, we will always be watched over and we need to be thankful for what we do have...not always wishing for what we could have. I know I am thankful for everything that I have had, and for what I have now...I am truely blest...always :)
Well as for my adventures...that is all for now....hopefully I will have some more to post soon, but we shall see. Oh and I have an address now, so if you would like it please let me know and I will get that right to you :) I love and miss you all. You all are in my thoughts and prayers, and please keep me in yours :)

~Until later
Sarah B.

No comments:

Post a Comment