Friday, September 18, 2009

1st week under my belt

So I have offically completed my first week of teaching. It went pretty well to, but I look forward to getting the kids to myself :)

The first day was interesting, there was a big gathering outside in which the priests came and welcomed everyone. That was definitely something different, since in the public schools in America this never would have happened. I didn't really no what they were saying most of the time, because we were all outside, but I got the general idea that they were welcoming them and blessing them to have a successful school year. I didn't really meet any of the kids the first day, but that changed quickly the next day :)

So day two I got to meet the kids, I meet the 3rd and 4th graders. Unfortunatley do to some changes in staffing and whatnot, I will not be teaching the 3rd graders, but it was still nice to meet them. They were all so excited to learn, it is such a breath of fresh air when you have the opportunity to see the kids who are so excited to learn! I didn't really do much the 1st day it was pretty much watching and listening to my counterpart to see where the kids were and whatnot, but it was nice to be in the classroom.

The second and third day was similar,however I was greeted with a bit of a suprise the 2nd day...my counterpart was running late and was not going to be there for the 1st hour. So I was left to go to the 8th grade classroom all by myself on the very 1st day! I had 20 minutes to prepare something, as I had absolutely nothing to do and did not know what to say or anything. Thank goodness it was an 8th grade class and they knew a lot of English...that made it easier :) So we just talked, I introduced myself and tried to learn their names and we had a question and answer session so I could learn a little bit more about them and they could learn a little bit more about me.

So that brings us to the 4th day. I actually was able to do some teaching today which was fabulous. I never thought I would enjoy teaching...but I really do, it is so much fun to work with them. It was difficult with my counterpart there, because I felt like if I made a mistake it would be really bad, but I know it will be better when I am on my own, because then I will have to rely soley on my abilities in Romanian and I will probably learn Romanian as they are learning English. I am really looking forward to it and I hope that it goes well! I think they are going to see a teaching style that they have never seen before and hopefully I can bring a little bit of America to them as they teach me more about Romania :)

So other than that it was not much of an eventful week. I really like to talk to all of the teachers at school and they are all really patient with me in my limited ability in Romanian, so that is nice...but we shall see how it goes and I am sure that I will continue to learn more and more as time goes on. I am just not so used to the lifestyle around here and my American tendancy tend to get in the way. For example people in Romania are not afraid to interupt others and they will start talking while others are in the middle of a conversation. That is very odd to me, and often leads me to be frustrated because I have to concentrate so hard on what I am saying and what other people are saying that it is not easy for me to switch subjects so quickly or to get back on track after I have been interupted. I know they are not trying to be rude...but sometimes it feels like what I am sayig does not matter to them. Oh well I will get used to it I guess. They are really kind to me for the most part and are always concerned about how I am doing. I constantly get asked if I like it in Romania and Trusesti, how school is going, and if I hate to live alone. It is interesting...it seems that the concept of living alone is a strange one....most people here do not like to be alone, I like it from time to time however, it is nice to be able to relax alone after a long day of trying to communicate in a language that is not your native tongue! :)

Well I think that is all for today, I am going to go off and relax some more, but I will try to keep updating and I will let you know how my first day teaching the kids alone goes. I hope you are all doing well and I miss and love you all very much! Always know that I am well and that I am loving this blessed experience. Take care!

~Until later
Sarah B.

No comments:

Post a Comment