Saturday, August 1, 2009

Oh Targoviste

So life in Romania continues to go well. I am actually at school on a Saturday...you know me I always need to study! It is nice though because I was able to have a conversation with one of the language instructors, since we all awnted tutoring they opened up a weekend session. It was nice just to sit and talk in Romanian and to practice, I am really learning to love the language and I try to use it as much as I can. I have never really studied a foreign language, but I am beginning to wish that I had. I think it would have made it a little easier in the beginning to learn and I think that it would have helped me to develop an appreciation for the Romanian language earlier.

Going along with that note, the difference in language in the schools in Romania is very interesting. Most children start at a very early age, learning at least one foreign language, the most common are French, Spanish and English. Generally children beginning learning somewhere between Kindergarten and fourth grade. It is mandatory for students to take a foreign language here. I think this can be a blessing and a curse at the same time however. I think it is great that students need to learn this because I think that it does create a greater understanding and respect for other parts of the world, which I believe is very important, but I also think it can have a negative effect. Some students may develop a negative view towards the language and cultures because it is something that they are forced to learn and they just will not try because they do not want to, but I am hoping that this is not the case for a majority of the students. The practice of a mandatory second language has been enforced for quite some time and it does seem to be a pretty intrigal part of the culture, and those who take it seriously are farely fluent if not completely fluent within the language.

Oh sorry another sidenote. Yesterday we had our LPI (Language Profeciency Interview) simulation. I was really suprised because it went really well. I know that I am developing the language and I am able to communicate with my gazda, but I was very happy with my rating. I was rated at an Intermediate High, and we need an Intermediate low to pass the final exam. When I was talking with my regualr instructor however she thought that it was a decent rating, but she thought I could have been an Advanced Low, which was really cool to me. My instructor is a tough grader...so coming from her that was a great compliment. I was really excited for that! I also had another instructor say the same thing to me...so I think that I will be passing the final exam if I keep working hard...so that just pushes me to want to do better and better everyday!

Alright, enough about language, even though it controls my life right now :) I am trying to enjoy my last few weeks in Targoviste, in 2 weeks I will be on my way to my site. I am a little nervous to leave everyone, but I am excited about starting to work with the students and my counterpart. I think that it will be a very interesting and fufilling experience. So this weekend I am trying to spend time with my friends, since next weekend I will be training for my peer support position. I am excited for this training because I think that it will be very interesting, but because of this I want to make the most of my final free weekend! Today it is farely warm here, so we might go to the pool! I hope we do, I miss swimming and it will be nice just to lie out and try to attempt to get a tan!

Let's see what else is new. It is diffiuclt to say right now because I generally do the same thing everyday...I go to school and then after school I go home to chill and do homework and then I go to sleep and start over. Once I get to site I will again have a routine, but hopefully I will be having more interesting Romanian experiences because I will be speaking totally in Romanian all the time. I am sure there will be some interesting stories from that and I am sure there will be many miscommunications...but we will see :)

Oh I will be trying to get my address shortly, I will not post it directly onto my blog...but if you want it please either comment on the blog or send me a message on facebook, or send me an e-mail (sm.busse@gmail.com) to let me know that you want it and I will send it to you that way.

Well I think that is all for now...I will try to change things up a little bit to send some interesting stories your way. I hope all is well! I miss and love you all very much!

~Until later
Sarah B.

No comments:

Post a Comment