Sunday, November 21, 2010

A Day of Thanks

So with Thanksgiving approaching, I thought I would dedicate this blog to all of the things that I am thankful for starting with the obvious

1.) Family -- I am so blessed to have an extremely supportive and wonderful family. No matter what I do, or what adventure I want to pursue next they are always supportive of me. They have always loved me and always will. I am very lucky to have such a special bond with my parents and brother, and to have a wonderful sister-in-law, two fabulous nieces and an adorable nephew who I cannot wait to meet.

2.) Faith -- My faith in God has helped me so much throughout my life. I am so thankful that it is a part of my life and that it has never left me, even in my darkest hour. I am very lucky to have something so supportive and strong in my life that will always comfort me and provide me with hope for the future.

3.) Education -- I am so grateful that I have been able to have had such a blessed education. Working here in Romania, the school systems are good, but sometimes are not super supportive. Again this depends on the area that you are in. My current school is very supportive, but I have seen schools that just don't have the means to be as supportive as they want. I not only was able to get tutoring outside of school if I wanted to, but my school had books in good condition for everyone, computers for use when necessary, reliable heating in the winter, and special education classrooms for those who needed it. Even though I might feel animosity towards my education at times, it still was good and I am very lucky to have it. I am also very lucky that I was able to pursue a college degree and will soon start my adventure of a masters degree.

4.) Kindness and Support -- I feel these to things are intertwined as one leads to the other. I not only have support from my family, but from my friends, colleagues, the Peace Corps, and my community. People who know nothing about me here in Romania, are willing to support and help me when necessary, that kindness baffles and awes me. I am so grateful that these people are willing to provide me with such kindness without expecting anything in return and without asking. It makes being far away from home and all things so much easier when complete strangers are willing to provide you with such kindness just to make you feel welcome in their community. I also experience a feeling of warmth whenever I am able to spread that kindness to others. To make someone else feel happy just by being kind is a feeling that I cannot express through words it is so wonderful.

5.) Love -- Without love I do not think the world could go round. I have so much love in my heart for my family and friends and I know that that love is extended back to me. Without it I would feel empty, and sad, but I never have to feel that way knowing that there is love out there for me to receive and I have lots of love to give back.


6.) A home -- I am so grateful that every night, I have a roof over my head and heat to keep me warm. There are so many people in this world who do not have this blessing, and I am so grateful to be this fortunate.

7.) Food -- Everyday I am able to go to the store and buy what I need to keep me healthy and well-fed. Again there are so many people who do not have these blessings and I only hope that this blessing will find them soon and remain with them through the help of kind and generous souls.

8.) Clean running water -- As a Peace Corp Volunteer, I never dreamed that I would be living in an apartment or that I would have constant access to clean running water. I always imagined myself in a small village in Africa and having to wash my clothes in the river and sleep on a mat in a small hut. I am so fortunate to have this blessing, and it is not just running water, but hat running water. I am also grateful for this, because I do not have to worry about disease being in my water. I see the poor souls in Haiti, who have already been through so much suffering and yet it continues as they do not have something as basic and necessary as access to clean drinking water.

9.) Electricity -- Without the gift of electricity and Internet here in Romania it would be much more difficult to communicate with my family. While we could do so via letters, I would have not had the opportunity to see pictures of my newborn nephew, or to see how my nieces have grown. In addition to this I would not be able to share all of my pictures of my experiences with my family. I am grateful for this invention and grateful that I can share this experience with my family.

These are just a few of the things I am thankful for in my life. Without these things I would not be able to be the person I am, working here in Romania. I am so grateful for this opportunity to give to another country. I hope you all have a blessed and wonderful Thanksgiving and never forget the things in life that you have to be grateful for. I love you so much and Happy Thanksgiving!

Mi-a dor de voi
Va pup
Va iubesc

Pana mai tarziu
~Sarah B.

No comments:

Post a Comment