Sunday, January 24, 2010

Brrrrr!

So this week was an interesting week, it was actually the first time since I have arrived in Romania that I have truly been homesick. Now don't get me wrong, this does not mean that I don't miss people and miss home, but I usually don't think about it all day. This week I thought a lot about home, and believe it or not, it was because of the weather. I walked outside on Monday morning, and it was like I was walking outside of my house in Wisconsin, the weather was exactly the same as a typical calm Wisconsin winter day, I could not believe how much it felt like Wisconsin, the only difference is that I was halfway across the world, in a country that does not speak English. Now it is in the freeze of the season, it is very cold and continues to feel cold. I cannot explain why it felt like home this week in particular, but I think it is because it has been cold, but not crisp, if that makes any sense. The feeling was just unbelievable, how similar it was, I did not think I would experience anything like that here, especially with something as common as weather.

Well enough about homesicknesses. This week I also had the opportunity to be presented with many interesting cultural exchanges. I am amazed at how creative people here can be from time to time, especially when they don't have something. I am referring to sleds. The sleds here are the old school wooden ones that are lifted up on 2 tracks, if they are not homemade, I can imagine that they would be pretty pricey. Thus many people may not be lucky enough to have their own sleds. This however does not stop people from sledding, on no, they create other things from sleds. Sometimes it may be a makeshift snowboard from a stray board, or my favorite is the use of a simple shopping bag. Oh yes, this week I went sledding on a shopping bag that was cut in half and let me tell you it did the job. I may have gotten a little more snow on me (and some down my pants!) but I got the same effect, a fun, fast, ride down the hill. All this for the price of a bag (about 40 bani-15 cents) a heck of a lot cheaper than a sled! I just found it interesting that even though they might not have exactly what is needed for sledding, that does not stop them from having fun! I just found that to be an interesting cultural exchange and a lot of fun!

So to go along with the cold, cold weather here, we have also had quite a bit of snow this week. It did come at a good time however, everything was brown and dirty. It made me think of Jerry, one of my old customers from quick trip, whenever we would get snow he would always say, "Ah it was time, the old stuff was dirty!" It is so true, it was pretty brown and ugly, but now that there is a fresh layer of snow it is pretty again. The method of street clean-up is interesting here, actually not interesting, but pretty much non-existent. Most of the time we do not have to much of a sidewalk, so there is nothing to shovel, but sometimes I think that people drag something over the snow to push it down, so there is a path off of the road. Most people however do not use these makeshift sidewalks however, when it snows they just walk in the road, because that is where it is the most clean and the cars just go around you anyway :) It just seems a little dangerous to be walking on a road with packed down snow and cars, but thankfully the cars only drive about 20 mph through the city in the winter so we don't have to worry much about cars losing control in Trusesti!

Something else that I find interesting is my kids amazement with something as simple as a pencil, even my older students! So this past week I did a lot of review because they were having a test, so we played Jeopardy. I decided that since this was a tougher game I would give the students who won a pencil. Now to me this is nothing special, even though they had designs on them. To my students however they thought that it was the coolest thing they had ever seen. One of them even said, oh a pencil from America! I don't think that it matters to them what it is, but if it is from "America" that instantly makes it cool. I think it is also something new, because I don't think they receive prizes from other teachers, or play learning games in other classes either. The interesting thing however, is that the fascination with objects from the States does not stop in general school. I was with one of my friends and she saw my box of goodies that I have for school. She was so intrigued looking through it and thought that everything was cool, even the pencils, the pens, the dry erase markers, the design paper, the eraser tops for pencils, even the pencil sharpeners and calculators. This stuff is so easily accessible in the states I hardly ever think twice about it. It was a fresh reminder about how things as simple as a pencil sharpener or a box of crayons can be taken for granted, especially since we can find it just about anywhere in the US, even in the smallest towns. I feel blessed to have witnessed this simple but eye opening event.

I had yet another interesting cultural exchange this week (it was a week chock full of observances). So I was having a tutoring session with my counterpart and we were talking about classes. I have a problem with some classes in terms of respect. Sometimes I think it is because I am too nice, I have always hated giving out punishments and bad marks. I also think it is because I am the youngest teacher there, and of course since I am an American. My counterpart brought up an interesting idea, not so sure how I feel about it though. She comments often on my use of facial expressions, I have always been a person who expresses who I feel based on my facial expressions, that is just who I am. Apparently however, someone who uses a lot of facial expressions when they speak is considered "alintati" or spoiled. I am sorry to say, but I think that is just strange. I was a little offended as well, because it is something so simple, and so a part of who I am to express these feelings. I just find it really odd, and I don't really understand it. She said this maybe be a problem, because maybe students think I think I am better than them or something, so they act out as a sort of defense mechanism, and students who also express themselves like me can relate. It is just odd, and not something I would have ever thought of. I don't know talking about it makes me a little upset, because this is something that I like about myself, and it is hard because it feels very insulting to think that it could be looked upon negatively. I don't think it is a bad thing, and maybe I can convince other people that there is nothing wrong with expressing your emotions through expression, it allows people to see who you are, both the good and the bad :)

Well that pretty much recaps my week, lots of exchanges, cold weather, oh and 2 packages, one from church and one from my folks. It is always a pleasure to be spoiled :) Now I am just going to try and prepare myself for next week, maybe go pretty easy on the kids because it is the week before break. I think that for my February break I am going to go to Budapest with another volunteer and maybe explore Transylvania a little bit, we shall see what I have the time and money for, but I am almost positive that I am going to go to Budapest for a few days. I just have to get my vacation time in before it is too late! I have to use vacation time if I leave the country no matter what, even if it is during a break, but if it is in the country during a break, I don't have to use it. So hopefully I can get all of that worked out :)

I think that is about it oh and I do have a few recommendations for you all

Song: Kris Allen - "Like We Were Dying" -- He was this past years American idol and he just has a really smooth fun voice. This song has a fun melody and is just nice to listen to.

TV Show: Big Bang Theory -- Just ridiculously funny, I laugh every time I watch it and the humor just keeps getting better. It is a show about nothing really but has some really good one liners and funny, quirky characters.

Book: The Giver -- I read it very quickly and was engrossed in it, just a spectacular book that is easy to read and has some interesting political tones to it. It is typically something that is read in grade school but I just recently had the opportunity to read it and I really did enjoy it. I think that you will too!

Hope that you all are doing well. I miss and think of you all often and I hope that the new year has brought you many blessings. While you think of the blessings that you have, I also ask you to think of the people of Haiti, keep them in your thoughts and prayers for there is much suffering there. I know that with help, prayers, and generosity the people of Haiti will make it though this terrible disaster. I am thankful that I live in a location that does not have such tremendous natural disasters and I hope and pray that my family and friends continue to remain safe. I miss and love you all so very much and hope you are doing well! Just think you will see me again in 19 months and it will be like I was never gone! Love you!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment